20 Nov Recipe: Double Chocolate Gluten-Free Brownies
[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”2_3″][et_pb_image admin_label=”Image” show_in_lightbox=”off” url_new_window=”off” animation=”off” sticky=”off” align=”left” force_fullwidth=”off” always_center_on_mobile=”on” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” src=”http://integrativemedicinecenters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/healthy-chocolate-brownies.jpg”] [/et_pb_image][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” text_font_size=”14″ use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
by Suzanne Landry, Fresh Food Chef & Wellness Educator
(makes 1 dozen)
- 5 ounces gluten free 60-70% dark chocolate bar
- ½ cup organic coconut butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup sorghum flour or oat flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 organic eggs, beaten
- 1Tab. vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips for the top
- Optional: ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tsp. of peppermint extract for chocolate peppermint brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray light vegetable oil on bottom of an 8×8 inch square pan and dust with a little sorghum flour. Or if you have parchment paper, line the baking pan and allowing some of the paper to come up the sides. It will be easier to remove brownies once they are cooked.
- In medium size pan, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil and butter over low heat, gently stirring as to avoid burning. Add sugar, stir to melt. Remove from heat while preparing the rest of the recipe. In a medium mixing bowl combine almond meal, sorghum or oat flour, sea salt and baking soda. Mix to thoroughly combine. Make a well in the center and add melted dark chocolate, beaten eggs, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer beat on medium for two minutes or until the batter begins to come together. Alternatively, you can mix and with a large spoon but keep on mixing until the batter begins to thicken and become smooth and glossy.
- Turn the walnuts if using them into the batter. Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips if using them.
- Bake in the center rack for 32 to 35 minutes, or until the brownies are baked. The top will crack, like a flourless chocolate cake. Cool on a wire rack; and remove the cooled brownies from the pan by gripping the edges of the parchment paper and lifting the brownies out. Completely cool before cutting. They will fall apart and be gooey if they are too warm when you cut them.